COBIT (Control Objectives for Information and Related Technologies) is the acronym for COBIT. This article will elaborate on all the key aspects and essential information related to the COBIT framework. By the end of this blog, you will be able to decide whether to take advantage of the COBIT certification to further your career.
Technology is reaching new heights every day, and so do organizations. However, IT advancements in the private and public sectors have made it increasingly difficult for managers to look after the teams, process, and manage resources to get maximum productivity and profitability.
That is where the Information Systems Audit & Control Association (ISACA) introduced COBIT to the world of information technology to help companies across the globe govern and comply with IT enterprises.
Let us dive in further with a clear definition of the COBIT framework.
What does “The COBIT framework” mean?
What is COBIT? COBIT is an IT management framework developed to help transform businesses by developing, organizing, and implementing strategies. COBIT was built to bridge the gap between technical issues, business risks, and control requirements.
We will also analyze COBIT, its significance in the IT industry, and the importance of COBIT certification.
A brief history of COBIT
Let us move on to a brief history of COBIT. It was first released in 1996 for financial auditors to navigate the IT growth environment. Since then, ISACA has released many versions in 1998 and in the 2000s that covered areas beyond audit controls.
After releasing versions 2, 3, and 4 in 2013, ISACA came up with COBIT 5, which focused on providing tools, best practices, and objectives that were universally applicable to all IT enterprises. COBIT 5 was published in 2012.
Then in 2019, ISACA announced an updated version of COBIT and named it COBIT 2019 rather than calling it a different version. So you can call COBIT 2019 an updated version of COBIT 5.
The current version addresses rapidly changing technologies. And it is designed in a way to evolve with frequent updates. As a result, the latest edition is a more universal, inclusive, and adaptable tool that any business can use, regardless of size or short-term objectives.
What are the focus points of the COBIT framework?
The latest version, COBIT 2019, focuses on security, risk management, and information governance. In addition, the updated version has clarified that it will not focus on managing processes, making IT-related decisions, or determining IT strategies.
Instead, the framework is designed to focus on governance and management of the IT enterprise, including controls and IT control objectives.
Controls include IT management procedures, policies, and structures that provide an acceptable level of assurance that business goals have been met.
The acceptable results that can be attained by implementing control procedures concerning a specific IT operation are included in IT objective control.
What Is the Significance and Importance of COBIT in IT Infrastructure?
In the subsequent section, we will examine in depth the significance of COBIT certification, its benefits, and the components of the COBIT framework.
What are the principles of COBIT?
The governing principles of COBIT 2019 are:
- Provide Stakeholder Value
- Holistic Approach
- Dynamic Governance System
- Governance Distant From Management
- Tailored to enterprise needs.
- End-to-End Governance System
Furthermore, apart from these six principles, it concentrates on governance and management objectives. This introduces a separate focus area for small and large enterprises. These areas can focus on cybersecurity, digital transformation, and cloud computing.
What is the difference between COBIT and ITIL?
This section will examine how well COBIT performs with other frameworks. So, let us compare the COBIT v/s ITIL frameworks.
- COBIT and ITIL are considered crucial analytical instruments for managing IT services. Therefore, the two frameworks, which have certain similarities, can be combined successfully.
- The COBIT framework has a more general risk-management approach that can be applied to nearly any aspect of the business, in contrast to the ITIL framework’s exclusive focus on IT service management (ITSM).
- While COBIT tries to match IT goals and values with business objectives, ITIL aims to optimize IT services to best support the company.
- Many companies use both to ensure IT resources are distributed consistently and per the organization’s goals.
What are the components of the COBIT framework?
- Framework: Before integrating them into the appropriate business needs, group and classify IT governance goals and best practices by IT domains and processes.
- Process Description: It covers definitions of operations and areas of responsibility (from planning, building, operating, and controlling) for all information technology activities and serves as a reference model and common language for everyone in the business.
- Control Objectives: To effectively govern any IT process, use this comprehensive list of high-level prerequisites.
- Management Guidelines: Improve the definition of roles, establish shared objectives, assess performance, and create communication with other processes better.
- Maturity Models: Evaluate each process’ capacity maturity and close processing gaps between them.
What are the benefits of the COBIT framework?
- Ensure that information technology is deployed creatively and effectively to support the enterprise’s strategic goals.
- Helps manage IT risks and identify solutions.
- It keeps accurate data on hand to support business decisions.
- It assists IT businesses that abide by the pertinent policies, rules, laws, and business-related contractual agreements.
- It aids in developing comprehensive governance work processes at the level of client services.
- Relying on a uniform, standard framework to map the facility at each of the aforementioned levels, connect it dynamically, and assess the efficacy and efficiency of the framework before work commences.
- It increases transparency and accountability and boosts the organization’s safety level.
- Increasing the effectiveness of people in charge of the task to make the activity of the systems clear and connect them to the facility’s functional communication.
What is the importance of the COBIT Certification?
Before we talk about how vital certification is, let’s talk about the different kinds of certification you can get.
To ensure COBIT compliance inside their organizations, COBIT 2019 users may apply for certification. There are three choices:
- COBIT Bridge- it is a one-day course to get them updated with COBIT 2019.
- COBIT 2019 Foundation teaches participants about the “background, components, benefits and important reasons COBIT is utilized as an information and technology governance framework” to prepare them for the COBIT 2019 foundation certificate exam. After a two-day training, you’ll be able to obtain your COBIT 2019 foundations certificate.
- COBIT 2019 Design and Implementation- This certification shows you how to build a tailored governance system that works best for your business.
The COBIT certificate encourages the improvement of opportunities in the workplace by educating professionals and individuals on how to manage businesses and facilities and how to address the global issues of information technology management and governance.
The certification also enables all IT experts, business people, and compliance auditors to communicate goals, objectives, IT controls, and results.
The COBIT framework’s effectiveness in being used and integrated into the workplace determines its value. Like any framework or best practice methodology, the structure is merely a way to proceed. A combination of broad internal adoption, data-driven analytics, and suitable people and culture are required for deployment to be successful and produce the desired business benefits for your company.